Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caesar\'s 4-3-3 (football anyone?)
well I am no expert but I suppose this is why Ceasar commentaries survived through the ages: his strategy was and I am sure still it is teached at a lot of schools.

I will continue with a little bit more background from my notes as I was in a hurry yesterday and I will go to the African War

if you read through Chapters 1-36
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Ro...ar/A*.html

Ch. 2
"Six legions and two thousand cavalry had now been mustered. Each legion, as soon as it arrived, was embarked on the warships, while the cavalry were shipped aboard the transports"

so he had a small force with him and he uses later a 1 cohort battle line
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Ro...ar/B*.html

Ch. 13
"Meanwhile Caesar deployed a single straight line — the most his small numbers allowed; he drew up his archers in front of the line and posted cavalry to cover his right and left wings, with instructions to p165take care they were not enveloped by the mass of the enemy's cavalry; for he supposed that he would be engaging infantry troops in the set battle line"

that had to change formation in an very interesting manner presummably while still engaged in battle?:

Ch 17
"17 Meanwhile Caesar, aware of the enemy's tactics, gave orders for the line to be extended to its maximum length, and for every other cohort to turn about, so that one was facing to the rear of the standards, while the next one faced to their front. By this means with his right and left wing he split in half the encircling enemy force; and having isolated one half from the other with his cavalry, proceeded to attack it from inside with his infantry, turning it to flight with volleys of missiles: then, after advancing no great distance for fear of ambush, he retired to his own lines. The other half of Caesar's cavalry and infantry carried out the same tactics. This task accomplished and the enemy being driven far back with heavy casualties, Caesar began to retire to his own defence positions, maintaining battle formation. "

it is really worth to read through the whole thing to better understand

Now later the deployment of Scipio in 4 lines (the first cavalry and elephants)

Ch. 41
"These forces were drawn up, according to his custom, in four lines, the first consisting of cavalry deployed in line of squadrons, interspersed with elephants equipped with towers and armour. Thus deployed, Scipio "

further down http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Ro...ar/C*.html
a mixt line left 3 lines right 2 lines
Ch. 60
60 Caesar's battle line, on the other hand, was disposed as follows, my description beginning with his left wing and working round to his right. On his left wing he had the Tenth and Ninth legions: in the centre the Twenty-Fifth, Twenty-Ninth, Thirteenth, Fourteenth, Twenty-Eighth and Twenty-Sixth. As for the actual right wing, he had posted there some of the cohorts of his veteran legions as well as a few cohorts from the legions of recruits besides. His third line he had concentrated on his left wing, extending it right up to the central legion of his line, and had arranged it in such a formation that his left wing was composed of three lines. His motive for doing this was the fact that, whereas his right flank was supported by his fortifications, he was hard put to it to know how his left flank could bear up under the hordes of enemy cavalry; and it was on this same left flank that he had concentrated the whole of his own cavalry and, not feeling too confident in it, had detached the Fifth legion to support this cavalry, and drafted light-armed troops at intervals among the horse. As for his archers, he had posted them in various formations at definite points throughout the line, but chiefly on the wings.

further in the African war again 3 lines:
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Ro...ar/E*.html
Ch. 81
he himself disposed his army in three lines: the Tenth and Seventh legions he posted on the right wing, the Eighth and Ninth on the left, while five cohorts of the Fifth legion were stationed on each of the actual wings, forming a fourth line to contain the elephants; and his archers and slingers were deployed on either wing, and the light-armed units interspersed among the cavalry.

These commentaries are indeed fascinating
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro

Messages In This Thread
Caesar\'s 4-3-3 (football anyone?) - by Gunthamund Hasding - 01-07-2014, 08:25 AM