Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huns tenderizing meat under saddle
I was reading Otto J. Meanchen-Helfen's book The World of the Huns & he mentioned Ammianus Marcellinus's description of the way the Huns warmed raw meat while on horseback & he mentioned that this theory has been rejected as a misunderstanding of a widespread steppe practice; the Huns are supposed to have used raw meat for preventing & healing the horse's wounds caused by the pressure of the saddle. He did add that at the end of fourteenth century a Bavarian soldier named Hans Schiltberger who probably never heard of Ammianus, reported that the Tartars of the Golden Horde, when they were on a fast journey, “took some meat & cut it into thin slices & put it into a linen cloth & put it under the saddle & rode on it."
While I assume this method probably served both purposes I was wondering if any members who are experts or have some knowledge of horses & injuries they might receive can tell me if the treatment for saddle wounds theory is a possibility. Does raw meat have healing properties for minor wounds as I am not sure if dripping cow blood would aid in fighting an infection & are there any modern examples?
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Messages In This Thread
Huns tenderizing meat under saddle - by Michael Kerr - 10-23-2013, 05:40 AM
Huns tenderizing meat under saddle - by Justin I - 11-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Huns tenderizing meat under saddle - by Vindex - 11-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Huns tenderizing meat under saddle - by Alanus - 11-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Huns tenderizing meat under saddle - by Urselius - 12-01-2013, 11:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Huns L.Valerius Gaudentius 83 27,205 03-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Last Post: SMC