Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crosswise belts
Latintas, I'm not sure I agree on the assessment that once the 'pompeii' style sword became popular meant that two belts
went out of fashion. It's more likely the introduction of lorica segmentata may have been more of an influence for a sword slung from a baldric, with one balteus belt, usually holding the dagger, becomes "popular", but even that conclusion can be a bit shaky; as has been mentioned, double belts are seen well into the 1st Century, even after segmentata becomes more 'common'. IIRC there are one or two sculptures showing Romans (Auxiliaries?) wearing Maille armor with a gladius slung on a baldric and a single belt. Romans appear to have been 'fashionistas' and fashions changed fairly often - One fashion appears to be the belt(s) and how they are worn.

Whenever I'm doing a Late Republic impression, I wear a single, plain belt, about 2 1/2 inches wide, with my gladius tied to it. I was going off of the Ahenobarbus sculptures. The belts seen in those appear to be somewhat wide, plain, and sit across the hips fairly straight. We don't seem to see the two belts until the Augustan period. Although for my Late Republic impression, I have been re-thinking that perhaps I may need a second belt, maybe underneath the sword holding belt, as putting the armor on, and the belt, and having to make the necessary adjustments for comfort and fit feels hap-hazard. But that's of course my own thinking.

I agree with Quintius Clavus, Bishop has some excellent information on sculptural evidence. The most frustrating aspect of using sculptures is the paint has all worn away and many of the details have eroded or been broken, so there's still a lot of information we're missing, unfortunately. So there's still some guesswork in regards to what we're "seeing" represented in sculptures, although they are perhaps the best references we have available.

Another good source that has links and leads to additional source material, is at http://larp.com/legioxx
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
Crosswise belts - by Latinitas - 07-30-2013, 03:50 AM
Crosswise belts - by Geoffrey Ives - 08-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Crosswise belts - by M. Demetrius - 08-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Crosswise belts - by Flavivs Aetivs - 08-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Crosswise belts - by Quintius Clavus - 08-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Crosswise belts - by A_Volpe - 08-12-2013, 12:32 PM