Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite
When I decided to go into reenacting, I had every intention to reenact gladiatorial combat. I believe that this is one of the most misunderstood and poorly represented areas of Roman history. I am a college athlete, and am, consequently, in good shape. However, I have sustained sports injuries that I am afraid may (on a limited basis) impact my mobility and overall joint health in later life. As such, I need to change my planned impression. After reading threads and carefully reading people's complaints and needs, I figure that I can be of the most use by portraying a simple milite.

So, I have said all of that to say this: How can I properly portray a milite (say late first,early second century) without giving the idea that all roman soldiers wore segmentata and wore Gaulic G helmets?

We know that milites wore hamata and squamata, and there must be other things that we know. It is my intention for this thread to be a guide for other new reenactors. Hopefully on this thread everyone can post reenactorisms, and inauthentic equipment that hurts the overall presentation.
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).

Messages In This Thread
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite - by Titus Manlius Verus - 06-23-2013, 07:05 PM
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite - by Jori - 06-25-2013, 05:33 PM
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite - by Crispvs - 06-25-2013, 09:00 PM
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite - by Crispvs - 06-26-2013, 02:47 PM
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite - by Crispvs - 06-27-2013, 05:37 PM
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite - by Vindex - 06-27-2013, 08:37 PM
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite - by Mithras - 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite - by Mithras - 08-01-2013, 12:26 PM
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite - by Appius - 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite - by Crispvs - 11-21-2013, 04:26 AM