Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor
A few points:

1- the earliest identifiable lamellar occurs in the fourteenth century BC in Egypt.

2- Not all lamellar is completely devoid of a backing (see my various publications on middle Byzantine lamellar for example) and not all scale has a backing (e.g. the sample of wire tied "semi-rigid" scale armour from Carnuntum posted in this thread.)

3- This Palmyrene triad is not unique - there are a couple of other very similar examples from the same period.

4- The Mars of Todi armour is lamellar. There are other Etruscan examples.

5- Assyrian reliefs show lamellar of very similar appearance, often in more detail.

6- The Etruscan / Assyrian / Palmrene groups could well be deemed to be a family, although I concluded in preparing my book (<cite>Armour Never Wearies: Scale and Lamellar in the West from the Bronze Age to the Nineteenth Century</cite> The History Press, August 2013) that the lacing system differed between the Assyrian and Etruscan forms, with the Palmyrene reliefs being insufficiently detailed to draw a conclusion. The Togolok Tepe find is related, although I conclude a less accomplished re-invention.

7- My book offers a new typology of scale armour based upon the functional affect of the way each form is constructed. There are just 5 types. Hands up all those who are confident they understand Von Groller's typology!

Timothy
Social History and Material Culture of the Enduring Roman Empire.

http://www.levantia.com.au

Messages In This Thread
Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor - by Timothy Dawson - 04-07-2013, 05:56 PM
every mine A-share m - by 4082jiSB - 04-16-2013, 01:57 AM
is a sucker 43 - by 4082jiSB - 04-16-2013, 02:00 AM
RE: Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor - by Margaret - 12-07-2016, 12:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestions for building a decorative armor display? dienekes7 0 492 07-11-2020, 06:27 PM
Last Post: dienekes7
  Maybe dumb question about squamata armor cilanos 6 1,405 09-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Last Post: cilanos
  Tips for a beginner in collecting a set of Roman Armor/equipment scottk100 4 4,924 08-13-2017, 10:33 PM
Last Post: scottk100