Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book
(09-27-2016, 11:12 PM)Bryan Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 08:00 PM)Crispianus Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 03:33 PM)Bryan Wrote: I've been reading Nic Field's Early Rome Osprey Book, he mentions linothorax being made out of cartonnage, resin covered linen, similar to how Egyptian sarcophagus were made. One of the big arguments here in RAT against glued linen has always been that it wasn't common of the period for anything, but it looks like cartonnage was very popular among the Egyptians, who could have spread the armor everywhere.

Thoughts?

Well the obvious one might be why arn't there more surviving pieces of armour made from glued linen in Egypt and elsewhere in the middle east?

How many linen, cloth, or leather linothorax style cuirasses have survived, period? 

Cartonnage sarcophagus were elaborately buried to be preserved, not just dropped in a hole in the ground and covered over with dirty, which is probably the only reason we know about them.

It doesn't have to be a complete TY or even a recognisable piece, just a random piece of multiple layered Linen glued together, preferably in a military context that might potentially be armour..
But I'd settle for any samples not associated with mummification practices, at least it would go some way...
So far leather(in the broadest sense) covered in scales (organic or metal) or other reinforcements are attested by the archaeological evidence and backed up to some extent by the iconographic evidence from multiple sites and sources... However glued linen to my knowledge, which I freely admit is not extensive on this subject to be sure, has not apparantly surfaced in any context that I'm aware off, other then as mummy wrappings (which is attested by Herodotus though he says Gum* rather then glue), despite that linen as finds generally appears to be somewhat common particularly in Egypt.

Personally I'm less interested in the linen then I am in Glue, since a more or less permanent strong flexible authentic glue would be very usefull to me...

*Gum of course hardens as time goes on... Edit: the Gum in question could be a variety of Acacia.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book - by Crispianus - 09-29-2016, 11:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,294 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Reconstructing ancient art Giannis K. Hoplite 12 6,076 10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite