Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment
Quote:You don't need much common sense when you're getting serious death threats.

you'd be surprised....I'm still here! Wink

Crispus, I believe Scotsmen wore trousers as often as kilts, even before they became British!

I would not advocate the wearing of Feminalia in the invasion period of Caesars Romp into Gaul,
although possibly, if they were stationed in the Alps, they may have adopted local custom prior to this too.
Or, perhaps, they just glared with envey at the locals they came into contact with during the winter, while they huddled near the brazier while on guard duty.
The disdain for the smelly barbarian custom could just have been a front back in civilised Rman cities....
Who knows for sure?
What we do know is, there is much said about painting of details on reliefs to fill in 'what must have been there'.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Messages In This Thread
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-28-2013, 10:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Legionary Leggings Antoninus05 12 3,417 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Best Legionary Helmet for 43AD or Mid Century Antoninus05 6 2,145 02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: texascavtrooper
  Late 2nd Century Legionary Infantry Caius Valens 22 5,334 12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius