Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make a segmentata fit.
Ave,<br>
<br>
Some months ago, I think it is almost a year, I posted a thread on making the breast and backplates of a lorica segmentata fit (at the same time).<br>
<br>
It seems to be generally accepted that padding makes plates fit correctly. This means without the leathers twisted in a corner and the plates hanging straight on the body. I tried all kinds of thicknesses of padding and tough the result was an improvement, it still didn't look right and didn't satisfy me. It clearly doesn't satisfy some re-enactors either, because I have seen lorica segmentata Corbridge type A reconstructions with mid-collar plates connected to their top back plates straight instead of at an angle. I don't recall of any find suggesting the connection should be straight.<br>
If you think about it, it is impossible to make a right fit without putting an enormous strain on the hinges.<br>
<br>
I made a suggestion to make a right fit without straining the hinges at all and had very positive replies.<br>
Now I would like to repeat this idea in order to see if this could be the historically right answer to the fitting problem.<br>
<br>
I made a twist in the mid-collar plate with the result that both breast and top back plate hang straight, even without any padding. The only visible difference is that the mid-collar plates rise up just a little against the neck.<br>
<br>
Is there any evidence of this on the finds at Corbridge? But even if not, the finds at Corbridge were parts not complete armors, so the 'twist' I am suggesting could be made later when building or repairing a segmentata and fitting it to the person that is supposed to wear it.<br>
<br>
Does anyone have any similar ideas on this subject and what are the results?<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Jurgen/Quintilianus <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
How to make a segmentata fit. - by Anonymous - 03-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Re: How to make a segmentata fit. - by Anonymous - 03-15-2004, 01:51 PM
The lorica segmentata fit - by Anonymous - 03-15-2004, 02:47 PM
The segmentata fit - by Anonymous - 03-15-2004, 03:02 PM
fit - by Hibernicus - 03-15-2004, 03:21 PM
fit - by Anonymous - 03-15-2004, 05:16 PM
fitted - by Hibernicus - 03-15-2004, 05:50 PM