Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5th century cataphract from France- help needed
Quote: Anyone know anything about the cataphract unit?

Not my period, I'm afraid. Most of my cavalry references end late 3rd to mid 4th C and it's not mentioned specifically as 'numerus catafractarii seniores' ; and not in Spaul. (Hardly a suprise, but nothing to clearly indicate a previous formation name or anything is what I really mean.)

It's an interesting stele, nonetheless, as it is clearly in a different style to earlier cavalry ones, although that may just have to do with the passage of time. Is he carrying a contos? The end looks a bit big (again, could just be the vagaries of the sculptor). Perhaps its a standard not a spear? - eg Genialis at Cirencester

[attachment=6216]Genialis_2.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Messages In This Thread
5th century cataphract from France- help needed - by Vindex - 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Information Needed: Roman Scabbard, Arles France in the Rhone River 1st Century ad Pointer 1 676 02-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Last Post: chaf69