Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face mask or face guard in late roman period
Quote:
Nathan Ross post=330824 Wrote:Ah, but Ammianus was not a witness to this particular adventus! - therefore his description of the clibanarii must be generic and not individual. He's describing what they usually looked like...
Denied your honour. Wink I know that because Ammianus did probably witness more heavy Roman cavalry elsewhere, and certainly describes them in action elsewhere, but in those cases, facemasks are never mentioned.
But, as far as I recall, he was not describing their armour, so there was no occasion to mention the facemasks.

Quote:I don't say it's impossible - indeed, Roman cavalry did wear facemasks in earlier periods, likewise do we know them from non-Roman cavalry, but the whole of the evidence for the use with Late Roman cavalry seems to rest on Constantius' parade into Rome and a copy of a vanished monument. :whistle:
Plus Julian's panegyric and the whole 'statue' theme. It is my understanding that the Roman clibanarii were based on the Persian model and the Persian's wore facemasks. The sources, though few in number, seem fairly explicit; you can't reject them just because you don't like them.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
Face mask or face guard in late roman period - by Renatus - 02-18-2013, 07:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 793 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Late Period Pteruges? Oisin 2 1,568 12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Face mask helmet on eBay FlaviusCrispus 4 1,367 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Anonymous