Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face mask or face guard in late roman period
Quote:Ah, but Ammianus was not a witness to this particular adventus! - therefore his description of the clibanarii must be generic and not individual. He's describing what they usually looked like...
Denied your honour. Wink I know that because Ammianus did probably witness more heavy Roman cavalry elsewhere, and certainly describes them in action elsewhere, but in those cases, facemasks are never mentioned.

Quote:However, you could argue that the masked helmets were 'parade' items, not worn in battle. Possibly true, although the descriptions in the panegyrics of these troops suggests there was something especially fearsome about their appearance. Plus (I think) the Persian cataphracts wore masks in combat, so it's not an impossible feat or anything...
I don't say it's impossible - indeed, Roman cavalry did wear facemasks in earlier periods, likewise do we know them from non-Roman cavalry, but the whole of the evidence for the use with Late Roman cavalry seems to rest on Constantius' parade into Rome and a copy of a vanished monument. :whistle:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Face mask or face guard in late roman period - by Robert Vermaat - 02-18-2013, 07:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 785 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Late Period Pteruges? Oisin 2 1,565 12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Face mask helmet on eBay FlaviusCrispus 4 1,365 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Anonymous