Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face mask or face guard in late roman period
Quote: A face-mask has been found in the Great Palace of the Emperors in Constantinople (Osprey 247, page 11, fig I), but it is undated. Most of what has been found is dated to the early 5th century, but this mask could well be a later, 6th or even 7th century piece of equipment.
Exactly so.

Quote:By the way, I do not find the descriptions of Ammianus´ cataphracts exceptionally fancifull, and he had seen such cavalry as they were used by Julian during his German and Persian campaigns. At least of the latter campaigns we are sure Ammianus has been an eye-witness.
People, focus please!
Do I write that I "the descriptions of Ammianus´ cataphracts exceptionally fanciful"? I think not. I limited myself to this fragment, and even gave you an explanation that the description could be correct, but that the cavalry was 'added to' for theatrical purposes for this very parade (Constantius' only visit to Rome, if I recall correctly).

Give me some credit.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Face mask or face guard in late roman period - by Robert Vermaat - 02-18-2013, 06:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 790 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Late Period Pteruges? Oisin 2 1,566 12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Face mask helmet on eBay FlaviusCrispus 4 1,367 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Anonymous