Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to get rivets? (Am making my first scutum.)
What I can't figure out is the rivets. Fellow North Americans, where do you get your rivets? Is there a supplier who sells them in all sizes? Google isn't much help, I find.

There are two sources on the Legio XX suppliers site, http://www.larp.com/legioxx/supplrs.html#rivets . I have used both suppliers. I also make my own from copper wire (think grounding wire) or brass brazing rods or wire, but you need a block of iron/mild steel of desired thickness with a hole drilled all the way through.

Also, does anyone make a square washer in this day and age? I more or less draw the line at buying a drill press to make my own.

Snip sheet hobby brass in squares and punch, like with a Whitney punch (DO NOT DRILL, since it tends to turn into a buzz saw) the needed hole.

Occurs to me though that shoving a slightly larger square nail into a slightly smaller round hole will wedge the thing in and hold long enough to turn it over and peen it.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Messages In This Thread
Where to get rivets? (Am making my first scutum.) - by richard - 11-26-2012, 03:58 AM