Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob question - Wearing lorica segmentata
Faustinus, I use the same method as yo to put on the Lorica Segmentata. I lace up the back, place it on a high shelf or table, and try to squeeze my arms around into it. I've tried some other methods, but like most here I always end up with scratches, scrapes and bruises. I'm sure this is why the Romans relied on help to armour up, as did the Knights of Medieval Europe.

One interesting idea I've come across is that in Feudal Japan, Samurai would lace up their armour and then hang them from hooks or ropes. If they came under attack they could then 'climb' into their armour in a manner similar to putting on a T-shirt, where they simply got into the armour from underneath by squeezing themselves into it. A big problem with doing this with lorica segmentata is that the shoulder bands are stiff, and not loose and hanging to the sides as the sode do on a samurai's armour, so it would be hard to get your arms in, I think.
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.

Messages In This Thread
Noob question - Wearing lorica segmentata - by Agricola - 11-01-2012, 03:03 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Maintenance? Roman Military History is 4 Me 8 3,575 09-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me
  Leather cords/laces for Lorica Segmentata Agricola 4 2,296 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Agricola
  Possibly Constructing my First Lorica Segmentata Pointer 13 3,218 09-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius