Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Constructing my First Lorica Segmentata
Hello all... THank you to those who have had mercy on me thus far as a "Newbie"

I have finally come to the conclusion of "Possibly" constructing my own Lorica Segmentata. But I have numerous questions. I have visited many sites with patterens and the how to's... So bare with me. I have a 49" chest while wearing a t-shirt. I know that I should take the measurement while wearing a tunic and a subarmalis. And I am keeping that into consideration while counting the cost. I am finding that there are no guarantees in the "Off the shelf" Seg. fitting me properly. I have heard that DSC and Deepeeka make largers sizes, however time... is a factor as well as shipping and restocking fees if it doesn't fit and the possibilities of not being able to return it at all if it doesn't fit. So with all that said... here are my first questions:

1. For most reenactors... do you make your own or do you purchase it?
2. Looking at around 40 a.d. - 70 a.d. what would be the common style of Lorica Segmentata for the Ephesis or Philippi area? (Helmets included... what type of Helmet may have been worn in that area?)
3. For those of you who have made your Seg. Do you suggest purchasing the brass parts or making them yourselves?
4. In fastening the brass to the 18 gauge mild steel, do you suggest brass dome or copper dome rivets? Which of the two tarnish faster? ( I know this may be a matter of prefference, but would they blth be historically accurate? Or one more then the other? And which in your opinion looks better?
5. What ounce of leather do you use on the interior? Thickness?
6. Are brass or copper washers (Round ones) acceptible as apposed to hand made square ones?

I know that this is a lot to consider question wise, but if I do end up making my own, I would be happy to take step by step photos and sources of suppliers I might be directed to use.

Foa a person like me... in the northern woods where there aren't and reenactor groups, I am relying strongly on RAT Members to help me out. If you would rather send me private message, I will give you my direct email there if you feel all this information is too much to post here.

Again... your help is greatly appreciated, welcome, and needed.

In His Service and yours...
Patrick

Messages In This Thread
Possibly Constructing my First Lorica Segmentata - by Patrick - 09-20-2012, 01:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Maintenance? Roman Military History is 4 Me 8 3,624 09-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me
  Noob question - Wearing lorica segmentata Faustinus 6 3,550 11-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Agricola
  Leather cords/laces for Lorica Segmentata Agricola 4 2,319 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Agricola