Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a late 4th c. spatha from nothing
Hi there!

We've thought with some guys from the group, that we are going to make ourselves brand new spathas off season. Their primary role is fighting, while being reasonably nice. This little DIY is because we don't really have the money to just buy one. Average salary here is like 450 euros net, and we don't even have jobs as we are students in uni.

We sided with laser cutting, mainly because we can't really work with metals (we can with wood and leather, but after I almost cut my shin in half with an angle grinder, no way I'm using those again).

After cutting (we do need a schematic drawing for the company which would do it, that will be a pain in the a**, do any of you know how to make these besides getting an expensive program and drawing it yourself?), we will get it grinded a bit: we'll start with 5mm thickness in the middle and get it to 2 at the edges. That will make it more authentic, stronger, and waaaaay lighter (ab. 70% of the original!). We are thinking of a length of 650 mm and a width of ab. 40 mm. Would this be good? We've had bad experience with bigger ones.

After grinding comes the heat treating, so it won't bend on harder impacts.

Tha handle will be made of wood, all of it I suppose. The grip is from two parts (though I'm inclined to use a tapering grip, as seen on the Honorius/Probus diptych), and we will make a little covering brass plate for the hilts' top for added defence and better balance. What was the tapering grip-type covered with?

Thanks for the replies in advance, hope I can inform you on our progress in the future.

Mark
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani

Messages In This Thread
Making a late 4th c. spatha from nothing - by Márk György Kis - 09-22-2012, 02:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? Lucius_Aelius 19 8,188 12-12-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: deepeeka
  Late antiquity spatha question LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 21 5,811 04-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: XorX
  Late Roman Spatha- Pattern welded blade markusaurelius 27 9,582 12-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius