Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)?
Quote:Our concept of patriotism is a modern one. In ancient times it was more a matter of loyalty to one's own city.

Or State. Trajan wasn't from Rome and most third century emperors weren't from Italy but they worked and fought hard for the empire.

Quote:Possibly. I suspect this recovery came at the expense of denuding the troops of Dacia though.

Or just recruiting more Illyrians.

Quote:I'm not sure I agree. The Visigoths in the fifth century roamed in both the western and eastern provinces. (Remember, Stilicho was condemned for chasing Alaric into the East). I think Vandals may have invaded from the East like the Visigoths as well. Of course, Britain was invaded by the Saxons, et al.

In addition, both the eastern and western provinces were hammered by Attila about equally. Although, I don't think he ever attempted to settle onto Roman ground.

In the end, just about all barbarian groups ended up in the West. The east was attacked, raided and extorted at times but at least barbarian groups didn't try to settle there causing permanent loss of land and revenue.

Quote:Also, the East was richer as you said, but until 394 A.D. the West had the superior field army due to Adrianople. And it had two incontiguous borders to defend - the Euphrates and Danube - which in the long run were more difficult to manage than the Western frontier, IMO.

The West seems to have become enfeebled after the death of Stilicho in 408. In the fifth century at least, the eastern or euphrates border was relatively quiet, and asia minor was unscathed--in remarkable contrast to the third century.There's no doubt the east was stronger; more than once the west sent it an SOS.

Quote:I agree with Marja. I don't believe the migratory nature of the barbarians prevented them from internalizing Christianity at all since they had their own Arian clergy. And most Romans were always illiterate. High literacy rates is a very modern phenomenon, AFAIK.

Yes of course but the Romans still had plenty of churches and probably a much more religious milieu overall.

Messages In This Thread
When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)? - by Tim Donovan - 09-20-2012, 05:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BBC The Rise and Fall of an Empire Kefka 24 6,989 10-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Kefka
  Before Fall of Empire Armies (Romans, Huns and Goths...) P. Lilius Frugius Simius 23 4,787 05-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Last Post: P. Lilius Frugius Simius