Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guttman Imperial Gallic; anyone made one?
High John,<br>
<br>
I think the Montefortino you mentioned belongs to a different type that has been categorized first time by Hermann Pflug in the book 'Antike Helme - Sammlung Lipperheide und andere Bestände des Antikenmuseums Berlin' (Mainz 1988 ). This is a fantastic book with many illustrations, most in color, that describes on 376 pages almost all antique helmet types, beginning with 'Greek Helmets of the geometric Time' and ending with 'Roman Helmets' - unfortunately for You only in German language.<br>
<br>
Pflug called this type in the absence of other designations as 'Italische Helme mit Stirnkehle' (Italic Helmets with Front Throat). He described 7 specimen of the Berlin Collection that all had the throat and except of one all have an ear cutout. The other helmets of this category all have a deeper neck guard and the throat is clearer. But as far as I know there is no real Montefortino with an ear cutout, and the neck guard of them is not as deep. Especially the form of the helmet top corresponds with the 'Helmets with Front Throat' and the cheek guards look rather italic.<br>
<br>
I found only one photo of this type in the net:<br>
<br>
www.abc.se/~m10354/publ/sorr-helm.htm<br>
<br>
It is the second helmet from Les Sorres - here called Etruscan - and has a unique lion head decoration.<br>
<br>
Greets Uwe<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uwebahr>Uwe Bahr</A> at: 1/14/04 3:28 pm<br></i>
Greets - Uwe

Messages In This Thread
unique helmets - by John Maddox Roberts - 01-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Re: unique helmets - the "Montefortino" - by Uwe Bahr - 01-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Pflug - by John Maddox Roberts - 01-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Re: Pflug and others - by Uwe Bahr - 01-15-2004, 02:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,143 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Imperial Gallic E irwimar 8 3,855 01-16-2017, 11:40 PM
Last Post: irwimarl
  Metal Spinning Imperial Gallic Helmet nightwork 0 1,376 08-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Last Post: nightwork