Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius balance
Balance.<br>
<br>
I've found most of the several replicas I've wielded to be balanced, not in a Medieaval and Renaissance sense where much of the documented sword techniques involves a considerable amount of slashing or point touch, but in what might be called a Roman sense, in that the weapon iin my opinion is balanced for long use with minimal fatique.<br>
<br>
I've found the gladius to be an excellent endurance stabbing weapon, everything from stabbing for deep penetration or for pushing it to target through a press of bodies. Keep in mind that recovery to "en guarde" or the counter blow is just as crucial as initial blow delivery. The manner in which the gladius is balanced facilitates this action.<br>
<br>
In addition it works just as well for high target thrusting, for blind stabbing around the scutum, or over the top downward stabbing, even for stabbing up from a low stance. Because it is slightly point heavy it is excellent for whip slashing in which you attack a rear target point on your opponent . Also good for quick downward diagonal chops in which you minimize arm exposure but are still able to deliver a cut through a minimal gap towards an opponent diagonally to your right front.<br>
<br>
The broadness of the blade suggest that it is also a durable parrying and blocking weapon. I have also been told that a wider blade is also less likely to get caught up in meat, bone and sinew.<br>
<br>
The gladius moves well in a crowd.<br>
<br>
My SCA version was heavier than most of the replicas I've handled and I did not experience arm fatigue even after 3 days of combat. Maybe that's why I find a replica gladius so easy to wield. A Roman soldier ought to have found it even easier than I have in my years of experience.<br>
<br>
Salvete<br>
<br>
Gaius Valerius Tacitus Hibernicus, Centurio<br>
LEGIO IX HISPANA COH III EXPG CEN I HIB<br>
<br>
Vexillatio I: Los Angeles, Riverside, Orange, San Diego, Camp Pendelton<br>
Vexillatio II: Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado,<br>
Vexillatio III: Washington, Okinawa , Northern California<br>
<br>
www.legio-ix-hispana.org<br>
<br>
619.563.5700 PST 9am- 8pm, most days <p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Messages In This Thread
Gladius balance - by Anonymous - 01-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Re: Gladius balance - by mcbishop - 01-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Re: Gladius balance - by Anonymous - 01-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Armour piercing? - by Anonymous - 01-11-2004, 08:25 AM
Gladius- hacking or thrusting? - by Anonymous - 01-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Balance or not - by Matthew Amt - 01-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Re: Balance or not - by Gashford - 01-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Re: balance is in the eye of the beholder? - by Anonymous - 01-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Re: balance is in the experience of the holder? - by Hibernicus - 01-13-2004, 04:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum balance point Spartacus13 7 1,927 12-16-2014, 03:48 AM
Last Post: richsc
  Gladius Weight and Balance Anonymous 3 1,797 02-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes