Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do 1st Century Roman groups avoid combat
Well, I think saying we westerners are not as aggressive as you easterners is a bit of a sterotype for starters.
We are raised to follow rules of conduct, but we are not scared of a scrap, we just understand the consequences. Wink
As for not wanting to do combat, well, Comitatus memebers do not have many swords in the groupe for starters, and use wooden logs as swords and padded tennis balls on poles as spears for their combat mele/training display, so the overall combat does not reflect the reality of actual combat. So it should be safer in theory.
They have also modified the rules to prevent the use of real combat strikes, i.e. to the face and certain sensitive pieces.
I believe the fear of a retaliation for delivered blows may be the reason.
Most 1st cent groups use pointed weapons as part of their kit, but we do use wooden spoilers for
mock combat, just not part of our regular routine. However, death and injury incurred in a hobby can have serious consequnces on a persons working career... 8-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do 1st Century Roman groups avoid combat - by Sheikh Al Stranghi - 09-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Re: Why do 1st Century Roman groups avoid combat - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silica gel to avoid rust richsc 10 1,969 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  How do you avoid Tinned cookware dangers jkaler48 4 1,614 01-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS