Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First drawing attempts Please give input
Thanks for all the input. I guess I need to explain some of my reasonings.

Many of the the measurements I have made are from multiple sources and where possible I have tried to make an average. I know that finds vary greatly so while a dimensions is so-and-so on one find it may be different on another. I agree caiusbeerquitius that I need one set of measurements just haven't done it yet as millimeters are easier to work with so I will convert everything to millimeters most likely.

Blade length is optional as stated from 18-23 inches.

Blade width for a gladius approximately 2 inches.

Blade thickness I have read many places to be roughly 1/4 inch on a Pompeii and Mainz so that would be about 6mm. were they commonly thinner? I didn't make the compound point found on some samples.

The blade point length I put on the Pompeii is similar to what is on my own and very like my Deepeeka.
Would a longer point shorter than a Fullham be more common?

The actual tang design I have found to vary greatly so just came up with some that will work (in my general opinion) How do these look to you?

Also the shape of my Mainz is what I estimated from images and descriptions. Any opinions on the overall size and shape of this blade? I happen to be doing this one as my next project.

again thanks greatly for the input from all of you

Jim

Messages In This Thread
First drawing attempts Please give input - by Jim Bertagnolli - 09-21-2012, 12:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A few feeble attempts at swords Augustus Janus 6 2,598 08-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  A few feeble attempts at swords Augustus Janus 0 1,124 08-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Augustus Janus