Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three-Fold Question and Optio Information
Quote:Patrick,

The Optio's name in Greek (Polybius, from a time when Greek armies still existed and fought in close formation) is "ouragos", or file-closer/"tail leader" in the Greek phalanx. The ouragos was the soldier ("NCO"?) who stood last in the file and stopped the phalanx from losing cohesion at the rear.

This seems indicative that the optio had a particular function (in battle) of keeping the ranks "dressed", i.e. orderly. .....

John, I couldn't agree more. None of the study I've done over the years, and particularly recently, has lead me to any other conclusion(s).

The 'standard bearer' of every century acts as the focus upon which to deploy and formate (effectively the 'right marker'), whilst the Optio keeps them all together - the likely best later/modern equivalent would be a 'sergeant'. Meanwhile the Centurion (officer-level) commands and moves the century in line with his orders - and often, of course, has to leave the century to carry out his duties and so leaving the Optio in charge as his deputy - just as Polybius describes. I would even go as far as to suggest that the Optio was a 'double-pay man' or duplicarius as that is one of the more obvious assumptions.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Three-Fold Question and Optio Information - by Mark Hygate - 07-25-2012, 09:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question Regarding Optio\'s in Auxillary Palaemon 9 2,567 11-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell