Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermopylae
Everyone,<br>
<br>
Well, what was the true purpose of the Thermopylae-Artemesium line? Was it really just a holding action or a determined defense?<br>
<br>
I believe that toward the end of Thermopylae, once it was realized that it was proven to be indefensible, that the true purpose transitioned from a determined defense into a fighting withdrawal.<br>
<br>
I believe there was signifant motivation - particularly among the Locrians, Phocians, Athenians, and to a lesser extent, the Spartans and a minority of Thebans - to prevent the Persians from seizing the open fields of Boeotia and Athens.<br>
<br>
According to Hanson (Wars of the Ancient Greeks, 96), Leonidas marched north toward Thermopylae, confident with the knowledge that he would eventually be reinforced. Hanson wrote, "If the Persian fleet could be stalled and the massive army bottled up, all the city states to the south might yet rally northward, join Leonidas, and so thwart the advance without much harm to the rich interior of central and southern Greece."<br>
<br>
According to Herodotus (Histories, vii.203), when the Greeks at Thermopylae sought aid from the Locrians and Phocians, Leonidas stated, "They were themselves but the vanguard of the host, which might everyday be expected to follow them."<br>
<br>
Accoriding to Green (The Greco-Persian Wars, 112), although he does not seem convined that Thermopylae was intended to be a determined defense, nevertheless wrote, "The Spartans always intended to send reinforcements, and when Leonidas assured various prospective allies that help was on the way he meant what he said."<br>
<br>
It seems to me that Leonidas intended to hold the line at Thermopylae, holding off the Persians until the Spartan religious festival (Carneia) and Olympic games ended (Histories, 7.206), thus allowing more Greeks and Spartans to rally and reinforce Thermopylae.<br>
<br>
Indeed, the 7,000 or so hoplites of Leonidas' advance force were in firm control of the pass, demonstrated by the fact that several attempts to penetrate Thermopylae, by Xerxes' best troops - Medes and Immortals - proved unsuccessful. In fact, it wasn't until Ephialties betrayed the Greeks, by guiding the Persians up a goat trail, thus flanking the Spartans, that Leonidas modified the purpose of Thermopylae.<br>
<br>
I am convinced that Thermopylae was originally intended to be a determined defense. Unfortunately, the line was realized to be indefensible solely via Ephialties's betrayal. The betrayal bascially ended the possibility of additional Greeks from rallying northward, or completing their religious and Olympic festivals, in time to reinforce Leonidas.<br>
<br>
Any comments? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub152.ezboard.com/bgreekarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=wade1066>Wade1066</A> at: 11/21/03 2:20<br></i>

Messages In This Thread
Thermopylae - by Anonymous - 11-13-2003, 03:30 AM
Thermopylae - by Anonymous - 11-13-2003, 08:38 AM
ooo - by Anonymous - 11-15-2003, 12:13 PM
thermopilae - by Anonymous - 11-16-2003, 07:03 AM
Re: thermopilae - by Anonymous - 11-16-2003, 07:32 AM
Thermopylae - by Anonymous - 11-19-2003, 05:17 AM
Holding action or determined defense? - by Anonymous - 11-21-2003, 01:07 AM
Holding action or determined defense? - by Anonymous - 11-21-2003, 05:13 AM
Re: Holding action or determined defense? - by Anonymous - 07-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Re: Holding action or determined defense? - by Anonymous - 03-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Thermopylae - by Anonymous - 03-31-2005, 06:04 PM