Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012
Not wanting to put words in Guy's mouth, I feel i do not what he's getting at!

A large event draws a huge spectrum of visitors MOPs etc. Whilst there will be a handful of well read individuals who can quote Livvy, and can and want to discuss the relative merits of butted vs rivetted maille. There will be a large number punters who have a fair bit of knowledge and want to engage with the reenactors and deepen their knowledge (if only a little). The vast majority of attanedees (like it or not) are family type individuals who have come out for entertainment over everything else. Whlist Frankly, they don't care what we are wearing, and what we know, this isn't an excuse for a 'plastic parade'. But it does lend weight to the concept of the 20ft rule ie; if you can't spot the difference (innaccuracy) from 20ft,it's acceptable.

Within this spectrum there is alo a place for the reenactor who wears a hand loomed tunic, hand made armour and a scutum painted with casein paints (I'm gulity of the last 2).

The thing I feel is most important is that we do accept the troops that don't have fully accurate kit as much as we accept the historical nerd (who can put the public to sleep after 5 minutes).

These events are entertainment AND education in the finest Roman tradition! Education is important across our different standards so that those with the 'less accurate' kit can speak with authority about the inaccuracies and hopefully in time improve.

Those who try and nit pick and point score need to realise that they are on to a loser (a certain vocal baord member in a previous thread shot hiself in the foot, criticising others seg's only to admit his own was a poor fit) :???: When you see a big event like This is Deva you (should) realise that the event as a whole has a much bigger imapct than the sum of it's parts. If we get sniffy over who's group and kit is best (which of course is mine) we won't work together and we get stuck with 10 milites doing a display when really we want is a chohort. :grin: That's got to be worth putting aside differences.

It really goes back to Guy's opening question 'Why can't we all just work together?'. Come to This is Deva 2013, check in the attitude and differences at the gate, take part in something fantastic and huge, share your knowledge face to face over a beer in the evening, and go home tired with happy memories and a big grin. :mrgreen:
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012 - by Marcus Caecilius Avitus - 06-12-2012, 10:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DEVA 2012 66kbm 103 18,975 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Last Post: DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS