Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Britain Celtic 1st Century AD Shield + Sword Belt
Hello,
I don't know if I can be helpful, but for the swords and suspension methods in 1stC AD Britannia I would look:
- I.M.Stead, British Iron Age swords and scabbards, London, BMP, 2006
- I.M.Stead, Iron Age Cemeteries in East Yorkshire,London, BMP, 1991

For what I have been able to inform me, I have seen that many swords are not found with any evidence of a suspension method (maybe an entirely organic belt).
I have also read:
When a sword is found in situ, and a suspension method is still present then the most common find with it are two rings and one toggle. The rings are usually positioned either side of the scabbard "runner" (the loop that is fastened to the scabbard)and some graves may have the sword in situ on the back”.

There are figurines from Yorkshire representing warriors carrying the sword on their backs.

[attachment=3185]figurineeng.jpg[/attachment]

Here the Asby Scar Sword with same ring elements and the link to the British Museum database:
http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/se...=Places%2F

Asby Scar Sword (1stC AD), Cumbria,Great Asby,Asby Scar (England) An iron sword which is corroded into its bronze scabbard. When buried, the top of the blade projected from the scabbard.

[attachment=3183]TheAsbyScarSword1stC.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3184]asbyscar.jpg[/attachment]

Best
S.Marchiaro

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Britain Celtic 1st Century AD Shield + Sword Belt - by Ligus - 02-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Re: Britain Celtic 1st Century AD Shield + Sword Belt - by bloodseekerboi1 - 03-08-2012, 06:45 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  That Celtic Leather Chain Belt Marcus Ginintonicus 1 984 03-14-2019, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Iceni (Britannia) 1st Century Shield designs jkaler48 0 1,977 11-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Last Post: jkaler48
  Continental Celtic warrior 50BC-1st century AD Marcus Mummius 5 4,173 05-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Joze Noriker