Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thesis research ....using GIS for archeology..
Quote:What I need to find out is if Boudica travelled NW on watling street, sacking the small garrisons along the route. Where did the "sackings" stop? That would be a key indicator in this research.
As far as I know, the only Boudica-era destruction deposit on the route north from London is St Albans - and even that isn't sizeable. Other deposits have been suggested to the west, around Staines and Barnes and even as far as Silchester. There's a strong possibility that the battle site lies west rather than north, but coming up with suggested sites has become a bit of a cottage industry! :wink:

Quote:There is no reason to believe Boudicca was on Watling Street, it would be a poor choice of routes for carts... the Roman would use it the Brits probably wouldn't.
At the risk of treading on the toes of Our Favourite Thread, I wonder why you think that Watling Street would be unsuitable for carts? Surely it would be the best route available for anyone heading in that direction - and if we assume that Boudica and co were following Paulinus, who surely would have been using the military road, why wouldn't the Britons use it too?
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thesis research ....using GIS for archeology.. - by Nathan Ross - 02-12-2012, 08:24 PM