Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trimontium (Newstead) Archaeological Finds
Quote:
Jeff Figuerres post=304841 Wrote:In Rosemary Sutcliff's fiction book Sword At Sunset she mentions in the story that a dwarf girl was buried under nine horses in one of the forts of the well. Is she referring to an actual archaeolgical find? The book implies that it is but I can find no information on such a discovery.
She was pretty spot on (although she got the name of the site a bit muddled and called it Tri<no>montium – I confess I correct it whenever I read it aloud :oops: – and I'm not sure the sex of the skeleton was determined). A whole host of goodies were found in the pits, including an upright tree, and it has led to the Ritual Squad having a field day. You can find Curle's description here.

Mike Bishop

No, she got it right. At least in the first edition, of which I have a copy. Maybe a typo or something in a later edition or printing. To be honest I still think of that book as THE book for a historical fiction for our royal buddy enigma...(whom I think we all secretly would like to find something like a headstone or lunch note or something with his name on it so we can get on with it...)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Trimontium (Newstead) Archaeological Finds - by quisslan - 01-31-2012, 03:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman arm guard - Trimontium dadlamassu 2 226 01-21-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Trimontium Museum John W Davison 4 372 08-05-2021, 09:40 PM
Last Post: John W Davison
  archaeological scutum finds Cephas23 10 2,672 05-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell