Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clunn has updated "Quest for the Lost Legions"
I am writing just a few lines to thank you for the opportunity to make a small comment on my forthcoming visit to the USA in April as part of a marketing and publicity drive, primarily for the launch of the new edition of my book, and secondly but just as important to promote the Varus Battlefield at Kalkriese in northern Germany.<br>
<br>
From the comments some of you have made the Varus Battlefield remains an interesting and challenging enigma, having been subjected to some 18 years of archaeological investigations since my first discovery of the site in 1987, with over 6,000 artefacts having been recovered so far. Yet, so far only some 3-5% of the main Kalkriese battlefield area has been subjected to proper archaeological excavations, such is the enormity and scope of the task. The site is massive. The main Kalkriese site for example stretches some 5 kilometres by 2 kilometres in size, but is only a small proportion of the overall size and scope of the complete 3-4 day running battle that took place, over perhaps some 50-60miles from start to ultimate finish at Kalkriese.<br>
<br>
Perhaps when I arrive in America there may be the opportunity to meet with as many groups such as yourselves as possible, and talk about this amazing archaeological discovery, and what the future holds. This year for example, we have a festival Roman/German week-end at Whitsun where some 250-300 re-enactment personnel, Roman and German, including many Roman groups and individuals from Great Britain take part in a great pageant, including Gladiator fights, Roma weapon displays, counter marching, and much more. Some 30,000 tourists attended the last similar event in 2003. (In 2002, the Battlefield Park was officially opened, including a purpose built Museum, Tower and Park costing circa €20,000,000).<br>
<br>
In 2009, there will be a huge National Festival to celebrate the 2,000th Anniversary of the Varus Battle in AD. Undoubtedly "Romans" from all over the world would be welcomed with open arms.<br>
<br>
In conclusion, if I can't make the call and see you all on my visit in April/May, I would be delighted and honoured to show any visitors to the site in Germany around whenever they might wish to visit this fascinating archaeological site.<br>
<br>
As far as the Varus story and discovery of the site is concerned, including the battle as I believe it took place, I can only recommend you read this new version of my book, which has been subjected to some excellent editing and updating work by my new publisher, Ted Savas, at Military Books above.<br>
<br>
All best wishes<br>
<br>
Tony Clunn <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Clunn, Varus Battle, & The Quest for the Lost Roman Legi - by Anonymous - 01-13-2005, 04:03 AM
Re: Clunn has updated "Quest for the Lost Legions" - by Anonymous - 01-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Only one revised version of Major Clunn\'s book - by Anonymous - 01-16-2005, 02:52 AM
Re: Clunn has updated "Quest for the Lost Legions" - by Anonymous - 01-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Quest for the Lost Legions/Visit to USA - by Anonymous - 01-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Quest for the Lost Legions/Visit to the USA - by Anonymous - 01-30-2005, 04:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,947 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Author of The Quest for the Lost Roman Legions to visit USA Sarah 1 1,067 04-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Last Post: richsc
  Tony Clunn\'s book Goffredo 5 2,562 01-31-2002, 07:38 AM
Last Post: JRSCline