Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How common was death in the arena?
Salvete omnes,

I have recently started research for a university assessment based upon the theme of death, and chose to look into how common death in the arena was among the professional gladiators.

I was wondering if some of you guys could potentially help me out with any material or theories that take this topic into account.

I have read a few articles related upon the topic including:

F. Hanz and K. Grosschmidt, 2006. Head Injuries on Roman Gladiators, Forensic Science International (160).

M.J. Carter, 2007. Gladiatorial Combat: The Rules of Engagement, The Classical Journal, (102) pp. 97-114

and I still have quite a few books/articles to look through:

M. Junkelmann, "Gladiatoren: Das Spiel mit dem Tod", Philip von Zabern, (2008)

M. Carter, 2006. Gladiatorial Combat with ‘Sharp’ Weapons (τοι̑ϛ ὀξέσι σιδήροιϛ), Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik (155), pp. 161-175

M. Carter, 2001. Artemidorus and the ἀρβήλαϛ Gladiator, Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik (134), pp. 109-115

Baker, “The Gladiator: The Secret History of Rome’s Warrior Slaves” Ebury Press, London, (2000)

S. Wisdom, “Gladiators: 100 BC – 200 AD”, Osprey Publishing Ltd., Oxford, (2001)

M. Grant, “Gladiators”, Penguin (2000)

T. Wiedmann, “Emperors and Gladiators”, Routledge, (1995)

R. Auget, “Cruelty and Civilisation: The Roman Games”, Routledge, (1994)

Are there any materials that would help that I have missed out here?

Also, any input on the topic itself would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Lorenzo Perring Mattiassi

LEGIO XIIII G.M.V (RMRS), COHORS I BATAVORVM MILLIARIA CIVIVM ROMANORVM PIA FIDELIS

Messages In This Thread
How common was death in the arena? - by Florivs Virilis - 12-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Re: How common was death in the arena? - by Artem - 12-29-2011, 03:07 PM