Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIB Research - Assistance Request
Quote:but the main problem is, the fragments bear so little resemblance to the formulae generally used on tombstones.
What would we expect to see on a tombstone?

A funerary formula like D(is) M(anibus), which is often separated from the main inscription. Next, a name: say, VIC[TORIA]. She might be Victor's daughter (it's not uncommon for daughters to take a name derived from their father's name). So we'd expect something like: VIC[TORIA FILIA VICT]|ORIS. (I've put in the line break so that you can see how this might work in our inscription.)

It is probably too much to hope that our putative Victoria was a midwife (line 4: OB[STETRIX !)

Alternatively, the sequence ORISCA reminds me of the formula HON]ORIS CA[USA ("out of respect"), but that formula usually occurs towards the end of a tombstone. I have definitely never seen it on the first two lines of an inscription.

Assuming that line 4 is the beginning of a word, there are many formulas beginning OB ("on account of"/"for the purpose of"), such as OB MEMORIAM ("as a memorial"), and it could even be OB[IIT --("he/she died ..."). Equally, it could be OR--, or OP--.

As you can see, there is really too little to go on. Sad
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
RIB Research - Assistance Request - by Vindex - 12-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Re: RIB Research - Assistance Request - by Vindex - 12-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Re: RIB Research - Assistance Request - by Vindex - 12-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Re: RIB Research - Assistance Request - by Vindex - 12-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Re: RIB Research - Assistance Request - by Vindex - 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Re: RIB Research - Assistance Request - by Vindex - 12-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Re: RIB Research - Assistance Request - by D B Campbell - 12-31-2011, 06:24 AM