Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman recruit training
To clarify my unspecific question, maybe. I've read that soldiers were trained in all sorts of skills, and if by representatives of a particular legion, then they might know which cohort, etc., they would become members, of. If in a general area, then they would be sent, probably in groups, to one or more legions looking to bolster their ranks.

What I'm wondering is this, basically. No matter where they were trained in the many skills that were needed to be mastered by a soldier, the experienced soldiers would have things not trained no doubt, and it would be foolish to put a whole century of new recruits in one spot. Without the steady heads of the older soldiers who had seen this stuff before and could calm the first time combatants, that century would not stand well when put to the test. Seems to me that there would always be a mix of new replacements when that was needed, and veterans already enlisted. Maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I can't find in my stuff much about that sort of thing. So, that's the question. How were the new troops integrated into an existing legion?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Messages In This Thread
Roman recruit training - by M. Demetrius - 11-29-2011, 02:51 AM
Re: Roman recruit training - by Sean Manning - 11-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Re: Roman recruit training - by M. Demetrius - 11-30-2011, 02:31 AM