Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did the oval shield replace the scutum?
The only descripition of 'barbarian' spears and their length I know of is within Vegetius-

'As to the missile weapons of the infantry, they were javelins headed with a triangular sharp iron, eleven inches or a foot long, and were called piles. When once fixed in the shield it was impossible to draw them out, and when thrown with force and skill, they penetrated the cuirass without difficulty. At present they are seldom used by us, but are the principal weapon of the barbarian heavy-armed foot. They are called bebrae, and every man carries two or three of them to battle.'

I think Vegetius is equating the 'bebrae' with the Spiculum here. The reason I used 'veruta' rather than 'verutum' was because I believe Late Roman infantry were armed with two of them.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why did the oval shield replace the scutum? - by ValentinianVictrix - 11-16-2011, 05:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oval Scutum in use 1st Century A.D.? LonginusXXI 28 13,105 08-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Anaticvla
  Did the Draco replace the Signum in the 4th century AD? markhebb 0 1,039 01-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Last Post: markhebb
  Scutum shield, and other issues Woadwarrior 14 3,104 05-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus