Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did the oval shield replace the scutum?
I agree that there are a lot of things we don't know about classical Greek phalanxes ... but Xenophon seemed to believe that a Greek phalanx of doruphoroi, an Egyptian phalanx with body shields and very long spears, and an imaginary Persian phalanx with sagareis and mikra gerra differed more in details than in essence. I take his judgement in res militares quite seriously.

Quote:I think of all the changes in Roman military equipment over the ages, this one has intrigued me the most, probably because it affects directly my 'period-of-choice', the Third Century.
What do we know of the development of vertical grip shields anyways? Connolly shows surviving La Tene period scuta as flat with a horizontal grip. I have a vague idea that flat vertical grip shields are 'Germanic' but I would like to learn more about when and where they appeared.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why was did the oval shield replace the scutum? - by Sean Manning - 11-09-2011, 09:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oval Scutum in use 1st Century A.D.? LonginusXXI 28 13,105 08-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Anaticvla
  Did the Draco replace the Signum in the 4th century AD? markhebb 0 1,039 01-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Last Post: markhebb
  Scutum shield, and other issues Woadwarrior 14 3,104 05-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus