Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression
Mithras wrote:
As you well know, there is no proof as yet. But, consider that many of the auxiliary shields include astrological symbols, like stars, moons etc. To me this suggests a blue or black shield. I've just returned from Pompeii and black was used extensively as a backing colour, and according to Graham Sumner was often used as a background to green foliage. Since many auxiliary emblems feature astrological symbols and wreaths, I'd go as far as to suggest that many auxiliary shields were in-fact, dark blue or black ...

My reconstruction of an Auxiliary with shield can be seen on my website gsillustrator.co.uk

As Mithras said I based the idea on Roman wall paintings which frequently show green foliage against a dark background the most famous example being in the house of Livia.

The hood covers shiny helmets,

There are a couple of references to covers being used to prevent too shiny helmets giving away the positions of troops in ambush.

I recall certain British units were still fighting in red uniforms at the start of W.W. I.

I think the last time was during the Gordon relief expedition. A token gesture, as Gordon specifically requested the British troops wear red so the enemy would clearly know that they were British! Most British troops by then were already in Khaki dress. Nevertheless an interesting German postcard of 1914 however does show German troops in contemporary gear fighting British redcoats at the first battle of Ypres. A warning perhaps to those who follow pictorial sources too rigidly? Big Grin

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Auxiliary shield colours and designs - by Caballo - 10-05-2011, 03:08 AM
Re: Auxiliary shield colours and designs - by Graham Sumner - 10-05-2011, 11:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show here your Roman soldier impression TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 3,909 1,289,358 04-28-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression Tadius Danartus 14 6,722 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar