Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof.
Philus, I am the builder of this armour. And you are right, the whole way. I have now the " corbridge hoard". You need this book to build a good replica.

looking to the extra added plan fig 42: Cuirass 5, paterns, the point go's to the neck. Fig 44, in the book, shows Cuirass 5 again, sugesting that the point go's outward.
But fig 45, shows a picture, that shows very well that cuirass 5, the point is going inwards.

Looking on the fig 25, a extra added plan: Cuirass 1, there is the point also outwards.
Looking in the book, there is fig28, cuirass 1, showing the central plate pointing inwards.

Some drawings in "the hoard" are realy confusing.
There is only rule, don't look to drawings, look to the photo's of the evidence!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thearmatura...508673169/
I love those pictures, but they don't show how they where connected.

When I start to building this first armor of me, I dit not have " the Hoard" in my possession. I was at that time a member of Leg XI.be With lack on information, I was looking to the other European builders. With all kind of contrary information, I decide to buy this book.

@Fidelis
The Romans will laugh. But with another major mistake that is common on the modern seg's, is that the breastplates are running parallel, instead of a V-crossing. Than you have to make them wider, and cut more material away around the neck.
This is not only a optical error, but this also limited your sword-arm for a max thrust.
When standing transverse behind your shield.
If you want to see pictures of how it have to be, see the pictures of the Dutch Group, The Gemina Project. Every armour is build the right way. You realy have to weare it to find out what kind of freedom this gives to your swordarm.

When starting this armour, I have don not enough research.
But all the messing work is build up on the mm. The leather is 2 mm, special treament to prevent stretch.

@Rado, thanks for defending me, but Philus is right about the center plates for the B/C type of armour.
But I never found a picture of cuirass 1, where I can see how the center plate was placed there.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof. - by Emmanuel Van Hoof - 03-06-2012, 02:47 AM