Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balteus construction questions...
Crispvs has got it right - When I approached Mark Morrow (Who did a fantastic job on the pugio by the way- He's in the process of working up a Mainz-style gladius for me) to have a pugio done I had a look at what was available around by him and others, and I noticed that everyone offers the plain-jane metal sheath style ([url=http://http://www.swordsmith.net/images/stories/roman/0910/2010-Raised-rib-pugio-004L.jpg][/url]). It's not terrible looking, but everyone's got one. While I agree with the logic of "It's an ARMY - Of course they used the same gear!" I also feel that troops will have some customization of their weapons. Not every Roman was going to have access to the same smiths to produce the same gear, or their own would need replacement after being lost/gambled away/combat-loss'ed.

The Herculaneum find provided the inspiration to branch out and find something that wasn't "Off the shelf" at a glance. It was something that wasn't too showy, and still had the appearance of being a solid utilitarian weapon. It makes a nice conversation-piece among our fellow re-enactors, and gives yet another opportunity to teach spectators some of the more unique points of history. Both Doc and Crispvs are right in that we shouldn't get too ridiculous with irregular gear (We certainly aren't looking for units with ALL imaginifers or cornicen), however if the odd one or two crop up from time-to-time, I don't feel it's unreasonable. That's my $0.02, at any rate...

-Quintus Claudius Britannicus
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Balteus construction questions... - by Magnus - 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Balteus construction questions... - by Doc - 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Balteus construction questions... - by Crispvs - 09-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Balteus construction questions... - by Doc - 09-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Balteus construction questions... - by Quintus Claudius Scaevola - 09-14-2013, 11:16 PM