Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st to 2nd century baldric fastening experiences
Hello,
i was wondering if some people here are wearing a slim baldric.

I came across the facilis tombstone and some reconstructions using a small buckle.
Is there anyone who saw the tomstone and could detect any hint on a small buckle?

During my work on germanic military equipment from the 3rd century, i noticed, that in in scandinavian burials buckles were used for the baldric, similar as in Illerup. This starts out in Ilkjaers Waffengruppen 1-3 which would be the Ältere Römische Kaiserzeit.
There is also one example using a buckle which resembles the roman waistbelt buckles.

Then there is the evidence of the fayum mummy portraits depicting some guys with slim baldrics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fayum-22.jpg
He wears no armour under the baldric, therefore i was asking myself if this would make much difference for the wearer. I mean, if you are accustomed to wearing the sword in a distinct way and height, would it confuse you, if it would hang in a different position without armour?
Would the position change in a way one would notice at all?

From the Thorsberg material i can say, that 3 buckles must have been used as baldric buckles. In one case the leather strip must have been girded in a different way.
But what about the roman baldrics? Would it make sense to have them adjustable? or is that a useless thought?
Concerning the fact, that we don´t have any evidence in the reliefs: could such details have been painted?

Well, thanks in advance for discussion and sorry for the mistakes

regards
nox
regards
noxia /Suzi

Messages In This Thread
1st to 2nd century baldric fastening experiences - by noxia - 07-08-2011, 11:46 PM