Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Shield types from Bronze to Hellenistic Age
Quote:I did wonder about those myself. I don't think I have EVER seen any Greek or Hellenistic shields shown in such obvious later Roman form.

Out of the hundreds of representations of thyreoi from the Hellenistic period, there are maybe three or four which are rectangular or hexagonal examples, and some of those may even not be Hellenistic (such as the stele from Abdera of a Thracian cavalryman carrying a rectangular thyreos who is sometimes said to be a late Hellenistic cavalryman, but who is very likely a Roman auxiliary cavalryman).
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: Greek Shield types from Bronze to Hellenistic Age - by MeinPanzer - 02-20-2011, 12:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Identification of Episemon on Greek shield MaterCastrorum 3 2,188 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Greek shield design question joeandmich 16 6,503 09-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Greek bronze bowl maitre Renard 4 2,335 03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Last Post: John Conyard