Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local magistrates
I’m reading a fascinating book at the moment, but the author frequently uses titles of provincial, religious and rural magistrates that I can’t figure out. Some appear to be Greek and others Latin and it is possible that the list below includes the same magistrate in two languages. Some of them I can guess based on the context (hence my presumed definitions below), but others I have no idea. Is anyone familiar with these? Are my guesses correct?

agoranomos – control market prices
archiereus – priest of some sort, perhaps chief priest
archontes – chief magistrates
proto archon – first magistrate
argyrotamiai – treasurer (perhaps specifically tasked to buy either grain or oil)
asiarch – only in province of Asia, priest of some sort, maybe provincial cult
boulographoi – similar to a censor
conductor – executive on private estate (or perhaps imperial estate), not government title; a lessee who subleases parcels of land for rent
defensor – [strike]executive on private estate (or perhaps imperial estate), not government title[/strike]; someone who defends another person in a trial
duoviri – Literally, "two men"; these are local magistrates. Singular: duovir or sometimes duumvir.
duoviri quinquennales – quinquennales simply means that they were elected every five years
galatarch – priest of some sort, maybe Galatian provincial cult
grammateus – secretary
hierophant – priest of some sort
kosmetai –
magister – generic term for magistrate; ("master") covers a multitude of high offices, civil and military
phylarch – a middle manager of some type
politographoi – something about composition of municipal citizenship
pragmateutai - executive on private estate (or perhaps imperial estate), not government title
sebastophant – priest of imperial cult (Sebasto… emperor?)
tamiai – treasurer (perhaps specifically tasked to buy either grain or oil)
timetai – similar to a censor

These following are stranger to me. They may not be magistrates at all but instead some obscure definition of municipal status or maybe even citizenship status. I can’t figure out if they refer to people or places.
chorion –
misthotai – Apparently the Greek version of the conductores
oikonomos –

New information in bold; bad guesses on my part are struck out.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com

Messages In This Thread
Local magistrates - by Epictetus - 01-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Re: Local magistrates - by D B Campbell - 01-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Re: Local magistrates - by D B Campbell - 01-26-2011, 05:40 PM