Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first later helmet
I am a college student and apprentice blacksmith trying to make a living doing just that. For about a year now I have been working with metal and trying to learn the skills and trades specifically related to historical smithing and reproductions. I want to become a bladesmith in time but recently armour has been the focus of my attention.

This the first real helmet I have MADE, I say real because the other two were not from scratch like this one. It is solid brass, red and yellow, and I threw in some copper to be a rebel (honestly I ran out of brass).

Now this is no beautiful work of art and I am fully aware of its faults both historical and artistically. The triangular copper edging was really to cover up some holes from the kickplates I made the dome out of and to bring some original flare. The design came from later roman shields so its not totally made up. I have yet to perfect the design, and size relations hence the large dome small rim large nose piece ect.

Now If you please would give any feedback I would greatly appreciate it from such an educated group of people. Dont be afriad to give it your worst, if everyone said it was perfect I would have no motivation to do better next time, which is what I plan on! However, keep in mind I am only 19 and in college so I have yet to completly devote my life to this art, but if any of you have some support or inspiration I would really appreciate the backing of you all to persue this further.

If you want to buy one of these for yourself my website is
http://jackmcauliffearmsandarmour.webs.com/

If anything is over priced, let me know and I will gladly take it down to what is more suitable!
Underhill Edge

Hand forged edged tools, blades, and functioning historical reproductions.

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe

Messages In This Thread
My first later helmet - by jackmcauliffe - 01-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Re: My first later helmet - by M.VELIVS.AVITVS - 04-01-2011, 09:03 PM