Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard.
Quote: ... and that there must have been a reason for this other than the Draco being a signalling device as stated by Vegetius (although, having served in the armed forces myself I fail to see how such a standard would be used in a signalling role, waving it about would appear to be a complete and utter nonsense!).

The development of semaphore I believe, came from a simple but effect use of flags (perhaps dracos too) and timings delays between signals to send a coded message...I don't think it should be dismissed so lightly.

Nor do I think field signalling and static location signalling would be necessarily different to avoid confusion.

This has some interesting points...(not that I agree with all of it!)

http://www.theromangaskproject.org.uk/P ... lling.html
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Messages In This Thread
Re: The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard. - by Vindex - 12-03-2010, 06:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Draco standard Robert Vermaat 93 19,815 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  The purpose of the Antonine Wall Epictetus 13 4,226 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Last Post: NUNU
  Cat-castle (double-purpose siege tower) Eleatic Guest 9 2,588 10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar