Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard.
Quote:What do you consider 'proper evidence'? I have shown two passages from one source that indicate that the Draco's were purple, and that in one such instance they were not in the presence of the Emperor himself. We know that purple was the imperial colour, so why make the Draco's that colour if their only purpose was to act as a windsock, indicating the wind direction, as you stated?
Adrian, are you even reading my posts?
a) proper evidence is anything (textual or artistic) that mentions the draco as imperial. Of course emperors had a personal standard. that an emperor had a draco present of course does not mean that every draco <therefore> was a representation of the emperor.
b) the colour purple was not the imperial colour. Yes, the emperors used the colour as colour representing their status, but as I've shown from other examples, that does not have to mean that each time we come across the word 'purpure'an imperial connection is meant. It was also used to describe a colour red. If indeed the colour of the tail was reddish rather than purple, the imperial connection fails.
I've shown even more evidence than you about purple tals! But also a Persian one of the same colour.
c) I never said that the only purpose of the draco was being a windsock. But it was the initial purpose, no doubt.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard. - by Robert Vermaat - 12-03-2010, 10:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Draco standard Robert Vermaat 93 20,039 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  The purpose of the Antonine Wall Epictetus 13 4,285 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Last Post: NUNU
  Cat-castle (double-purpose siege tower) Eleatic Guest 9 2,659 10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar