Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ...
Surely the point is that ultimately, by far and away the most powerful of the Greek states/regions/territories in terms of longevity, sheer size, and projection of power was Makedon? In some ways it outgrew its Greek origins and (in typical Greek localistic manner) was more concerned with its more focussed Makedonian identity first - just had been the Athenians, Spartans and Thebans in turn before them; and the Epeirotes, Aitolians and Akhaians afterwards. The Makedonian state/territory seriously swamped anything any previous Greek power had ever managed - even after Alexander and the break-up of his domains into the successor kingdoms. It is entirely representative of that distinct exclusive localism that any of the Greek powers should think of themselves as being regional/local/tribal first and Hellenic second. No surprises there. And this greater Makedonian entity (still a basically Greek construct to many ancient observers) would be bound to have its own distinct colourings, which put it at variance with the other (lesser) Greek powers. As I say ... nothing surprising at all. The correct reading should perhaps be the Makedonians and the other Greeks, when they were feeling pan-Hellenic - and the Makedonians and the (non-Makedone) Greeks, when they were not ...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Re: It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ... - by Ghostmojo - 12-18-2010, 01:01 AM