Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
varusschlacht sites(s)
The most telling evidence is the coin evidence, and since many were moved and in private collections by the late 1800's there is little scholastic proof. I was relating the 'evidence" given by one scholar at the site. It is interesting terrain. It is an interesting period. They didn't have maps, they didn't have radio, they didn't have GPS. ("They" being either side.) You can almost state anythinng loudly enough and publish a book and have some possibility of credibility on such a topic, if you put in enough footnotes.<br>
<br>
Remember, Germans weren't "Germans" but many different groups of barbarian tribes, so I personally could see how trusting one group to lead you, when attacked by a different group would work. The U.S. military has had a history of this problem, especially if you had built a rapport with the leader over several years of working together.<br>
We currently have this going on in Afganistan today, and previously in SE Asia (ie. Viet Nam) in the 1950's, 60's and 70's as well as similar problems in Central America. Trying to decide when to stop trusting your trusted native guides and advisors can be a real problem today. Was it any easier in the past?<br>
The Varus slaughter is surely an interesting item of study, but a visit to the Kalkreise museum will give you many alternate ideas to ponder. If you can manage to find the lecturer we had, it will be interesting. I can find his name on ther video if you wish, but I may not spell it correctly.<br>
<br>
<p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Messages In This Thread
varusschlacht sites(s) - by Anonymous - 01-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Re: varusschlacht sites(s) - by Caius Fabius - 01-25-2003, 02:11 AM
Re: varusschlacht sites(s) - by Anonymous - 01-26-2003, 02:15 AM
Re: varusschlacht sites(s) - by Caius Fabius - 01-26-2003, 09:11 PM