Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were Late Roman Ridge Helmets Really lined in Leather?
Quote:I would just advise you to get a ridge helmet, remove the leather, and wear it every day for one year...

Then look closely what effect your sweat has on the iron...

Yes but every helmet Roman or otherwise has the same issue. I don't think there is any evidence of leather lined Imperial Gallic helmets.

Quote:First of all, your picture of the Deurne helmet is misleading. It was the misguided opinion of the reconstruction teamback in 1910 that the missing cheeck plate was supposed to be full of rivets. The plate itself is still missing, so this reconstruction is completely fancyful and can't used in evidence here.
Furthermore, the 'other' plate had only holes.

Can you clarify here then. Is that right cheek piece a complete reconstruction? Why would the reconstruction team only complete one cheek piece fill it with rivets, and then leave the other one empty? That doesn't make sense.

Quote:at least a few to remain in place. But not even on very well-preserved helmets such as the Berkasovo I and II - not a single rivet along the cheekline.

Well not on the photo of the Berkasovo helmet attached in my original post. Again as you can see, there is a lone single cheek rivet remaining, and that helmet still has its original iron core attached.

Quote:Some rivets are modern! Watch out for that, some have been attached to keep the remains in place..

This I can understand as clearly the Intercisa helmet photo I attached has modern rivets for the neck and cheek pieces to hold them in place. However again how do you explain the two rivets on the Augsburg helmet that you can clearly see along the side/base of the helmet? No conservationist is simply going to attach two randomly place rivets.. Those rivets again clearly look original.

Leather works and is "well-fitting reconstruction", but I'm just more curious what the archeology says, and what I'm saying is again even on the limited photos I could drum up, you can clearly see rivets along the cheek pieces, and helmet bases.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Were Late Roman Ridge Helmets Really lined in Leather? - by Markus Montanvs - 08-30-2010, 03:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources CaesarAugustus 92 18,817 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Late Roman helmets with one-piece bowls LWMM 2 1,186 11-14-2017, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Interesting lesson on the development of the late roman helmets Virilis 1 2,240 11-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs