Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about the origin of the Greek hoplite shield
I am interested in the origin of the aspes, Herodotus credits the Carians for teaching the ancient Greeks to use handles instead of a leather strap (Her. 1.171) along with shield devices and the helmet crest. Apollodorus in: 'The library of Greek mythology' credits the Argives for having invented the Greek shield, I have read other references to the 'Argive buckler'.

Sir Richard F. Burton in his work: 'The Book Of The Sword', seems to believe that all swords, shields and armor have their origins in Egypt and were simply modified by various cultures as their use spread through trade and migration etc. A shield for defence and decoration of weapons, armor and even the warrior's body seem to be shared by many cultures, which is not suprising considering that to defend oneself and to decorate surfaces is simply human nature, with that in mind I will limit my question to the origin of the typical 3' diameter x 5" bowl (approx) Greek hoplite's shield. When does this example first appear in the monumental or literary record?

Comments and opinions on the origin of the shield in general are also welcome.

Thanks

Mark H.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad

Messages In This Thread
Question about the origin of the Greek hoplite shield - by Dithyrambus - 08-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hoplite Shield/Panoply Color Harrisonfletch 0 985 04-02-2020, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Harrisonfletch
  Greek Hoplite Spear Connor Augustus 1 2,166 04-30-2016, 10:01 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  Any current works about hoplite shield devices? Condottiero Magno 2 2,312 08-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr