Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late 4th century sarcophagus
This sarcophagus from the mid to late 4th century is in Split museum where I was lucky enough to be last week, and I don't recall it being discussed before?

It depicts the destruction of Pharoah's army in the Red sea but the troops are a mixture of more contemporary and possibly older styles e.g. Attic helmets.
I think I recall some discussion (by Graham Sumner??) on the armour? The central soldier is depicted as having some form of body armour with a distinct "dot"in the middle of each diamond shaped section. I don't believe that this was a lazy attempt to depict mail given the sculpture detail in the rest of the piece- but is perhaps a padded jack similar to a medieval coat of plates/ brigandine? A lot of other interesting detail as well, I thought.
[Image: DSCN0225.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0234.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0226.jpg]

I would thoroughly recommend a visit to Split (some cheap flights from UK by Easyjet). As a taster, here is the Roman Silver Gate.
[Image: DSCN0049.jpg]

Diocletian's Mausoleum on the left- now a Christian church. Inside the mausoleum the original frieze is still there showing (amongst other things) cherubs with oval flat shields.
[Image: DSCN0048.jpg]

And the vestibule of Diocletian's Palace-plus my family to give it some scale.
[Image: DSCN0050.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things

Messages In This Thread
Late 4th century sarcophagus - by Caballo - 08-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Re: Late 4th century sarcophagus - by Goffredo - 08-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Re: Late 4th century sarcophagus - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 08-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Re: Late 4th century sarcophagus - by Caballo - 08-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Re: Late 4th century sarcophagus - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 08-16-2010, 01:17 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Officer, sarcophagus relief-pics, pdf Arahne 8 2,856 02-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius