Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sack of London book shops
Hi guys. Just back back from London for a week vacation.<br>
Went to museums and book shops. Boy is London expensive!!! But what a great city. After many hours in front of the many history, military history and physics books and much indecision I came away with the following roman books:<br>
<br>
1) CEASAR by Christian Meier, published by Fontana Press/Harper Collins Publishers, 1982<br>
I started reading it and it is structured in a very interesting way: more than a biography it describes the features of roman life and culture necessary to follow Julius’ growth. By the way I read years ago the McCollough series of novels on Marius, Sulla, Ceasar and a host of secondary characters. I really think I am enjoying Meiers’ book so much because I still remember the vivid rendering of McCollough.<br>
<br>
2) ROMAN EMPIRE, FROM SEVERUS TO CONSTANTINE, by Pat Southern, published by Routledge, 2001<br>
I decided to buy this one because I have always been interested in this period and because Southern writes something I always believed, namely that the emperors of that period were very vigorous and talented.<br>
<br>
3) ROMAN INFANTRY EQUIPMENT, THE LATER EMPIRE, by I. P. Stephenson, published by Tempus, 2001<br>
If I ever find the time to re-enact I decided time ago to be a late roman. Hence I got this one. I am eagerly waiting to get Dan’s book.<br>
<br>
Novels:<br>
4) UNDER THE EAGLE by our friend Scarrow. Read half of it already and am enjoying it immensely. BRAVO Simon. Cato’s first battle in the german village is great stuff!<br>
<br>
5) SCIPIO by Ross Leckie. Haven’t read anything by this fellow. Has anyone read it.<br>
<br>
Had a limited budget so had to stop here. But what I like about book stores is that you can thumb through the books. I already have a list of next buys ready.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ugoffredo.showPublicProfile?language=EN>goffredo</A> at: 8/16/02 10:25:43 am<br></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."

Messages In This Thread
sack of London book shops - by Goffredo - 08-16-2002, 08:12 AM
Re: sack of London book shops - by Guest - 08-16-2002, 09:57 AM
Re: sack of London book shops - by richard - 08-16-2002, 11:02 AM
Re: sack of London book shops - by Guest - 08-16-2002, 11:55 AM
Re: sack of London book shops - by Guest - 08-16-2002, 12:08 PM
Re: sack of London book shops - by richard - 08-16-2002, 12:38 PM
Re: sack of London book shops - by mcbishop - 08-19-2002, 09:07 PM
Re: sack of London book shops - by Richomeres - 08-20-2002, 03:34 PM
Re: sack of London book shops - by mcbishop - 08-20-2002, 06:07 PM