Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman fortifcation terms in German
These are very interesting comments. I read the material on the Colloquium on the rearward German Limes. Were some of the wooden towers plastered, and are you suggesting that the turm at Pohl was plastered? Obviously there is ongoing revision as to what a wooden tower looked like. The illustrations at the Rheinbrohl museum depict the early watchtowers as simple houses on stilts, which is similar to the reconstruction at Wp 1-8. Is this reconstruction type also now suspect?
After more careful reading, it seems that the RLK listed, with a question mark, Wp 2-23 as a wooden tower, and the map shows a ringgraben that would have been typical for a wooden tower. The material also says that a structure in the northern corner of the fort was an earlier stone tower, with the implication that it was torn down when the fort was built. If this supposition is correct, and the stone towers replaced the wooden towers in the time of Antonius Pius, then it seems that there would not have been any towers associated with the fort. Your comments would be appreciated.
In regards to the construction techniques from the colloquium, could it be determined if the clapboards were sawn or riven? Technical translation problems arise, but I think it would probably be “gespaltern”
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. It is greatly appreciated.

Gilbert

Messages In This Thread
Roman fortifcation terms in German - by rgilbert - 06-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Re: Roman fortifcation terms in German - by noxia - 06-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Re: Roman fortifcation terms in German - by noxia - 06-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Re: Roman fortifcation terms in German - by rgilbert - 06-26-2010, 03:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  German vs English Gladius terms L. Aufidius Pantera 10 2,838 07-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Last Post: L. Aufidius Pantera