Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman fortifcation terms in German
Thanks to the both of you.
I discovered the Limes several years ago when a cousin showed us Kastell Pfünz. Even though I was a history major and had two courses on Roman history, I had never heard of the Limes until then. Since that time, I have become hooked on them, and have been fortunate to be able to visit many of the sites and museums from Bayern bis Xanten.
There is virtually no material in English on them, and as a learning exercise in both history and German, I have been translating the material on the Limes from Wikipedia. The challenge is often tying to determine with which dependent phrase goes the verb in some of your impossibly long German sentences
Since these articles are well footnoted, I am assuming that they are generally accurate, but at the same time, it appears that they are taken selectively mostly from works of Planck or Baatz, and becasue of that there is sometimes a seeming lack of continuity. [this was an impossibly long English sentence]
I can order books from Germany. Could either of you recommend which books by the above authors might cover significant areas of the Limes, but at the same time, give more details as to the archeological methodology and the findings?

Noch einmal vielen dank für die Hilfe.

Gilbert

Messages In This Thread
Roman fortifcation terms in German - by rgilbert - 06-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Re: Roman fortifcation terms in German - by rgilbert - 06-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Re: Roman fortifcation terms in German - by noxia - 06-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Re: Roman fortifcation terms in German - by noxia - 06-23-2010, 07:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  German vs English Gladius terms L. Aufidius Pantera 10 2,837 07-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Last Post: L. Aufidius Pantera